Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Day in Paris . . . Deep in the Heart of Texas



I had the most enjoyable time living the afternoon as if I were in Paris.  No, I did not visit the famous City of Lights today, but rather, I spent the day exposed to familiar aspects of a Parisian's life.


To start off this European experience, my mother, a friend, and I enjoyed lunch at a fabulous and delicious soufflé-specializing restaurant, Rise No.1.  As we strolled through the massive and beautiful wooden door, the beauty of the space and the mouthwatering aroma was captivating.  This cozy restaurant is filled with charming trinkets, books, tables, chairs, and household items mostly all available for purchase.  Once seated, the delectable menu was revealed.  There were a few curious items mentioned on the 
menu, most noticeably, Marshmallow Soup. Needless to say, this menu item raised a few eyebrows amongst those at our table.  Our "garcon" (French for waiter) promptly cleared up the cloud of confusion, clarifying that the soup in question was actually a creamy carrot and tomato soup topped ornately with marshmallow-resembling, mini goat-cheese soufflés.  Our dining experience consisted of the marshmallow soup (it was superb!), baby green salad (the dressing was out of this world!), seasonal crab soufflé (perfectly flavored and utterly delicious), creamy spinach soufflé (wonderfully delightful), and the pièce de résistance, the perfectly fluffy and sweet chocolate soufflé (photo taken by Debbi Robertson) accompanied by a creamy and rich cappuccino (photo taken by me).  Needless to say, this charming bistro is one that I hope to visit many more times in the future.


Directly following this delightful lunch, we were honored to witness the matinée performance of the passionate, slightly humorous, and exhilarating stage performance of The Phantom of the Opera.  The vivaciously-colored costumes, vocal and dancing abilities of all the performers, and thrilling music enhanced the live Paris-inspired performance.  My mother and I were able to see the London stage production of The Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre a few years back when we traveled to England and Europe.  Seeing this beautifully crafted story and musical score in person truly brings this emotional story to an all new height.

As I sit here tonight, recording the happenings of my day, reminiscing the memories that were made and experiences that were had, I remain most thankful.  If ever you find yourself in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I hope you will take time to enjoy a delicious soufflé.  Be inspired to branch out and enjoy our surroundings.  You never know what trinket or treasure you may discover.  Regardless of your findings, memories shall always be made.

With love,
K


"Think of me, think of me fondly, when we've said goodbye. Remember me once in a while, please promise me you'll try.  When you find that, once again, you long to take your heart back and be free, if you ever find a moment, spare a thought for me." ~ The Phantom of the Opera

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written and causes me to want to relive the day! Well, actually, I just did! :)

    ReplyDelete